Certificate in Cosmetic Regulatory Essentials
Cosmetic regulations differ around the world:
- cosmetic claims used in marketing
- cosmetic ingredient lists on labels
- permitted cosmetic ingredients
- what is a cosmetic product
But, if you want to sell a cosmetic product, you need to comply in whichever country you are selling it in! Learn how to comply with cosmetic regulations in the EU, AU, US, NZ, JP, ASEAN, African and Chinese markets by completing the Certificate in Cosmetic Regulatory Essentials. Ideal for those with a Cosmetic Brand looking to export cosmetics, as well as those working for companies selling cosmetic products in one or more countries around the world.
- 5 months part time (15-20 hours per week)
- Flexible, extended study possible for up to 15 months (5-10 hours per week)
- Study load consists of:
- guided training and workplace projects = 360 hours
- extension research and workplace projects = up to 180 hours
Module 1: Cosmetic complianceEvaluate the functions of ingredients in personal care products
Covers the origin and functions of the common ingredients used in personal care products for an understanding of what gets used in products and why. Learn how to:
- accurately identify what constitutes ‘organic’, ‘natural’ and ‘synthetic’ ingredients and processing
- investigate and evaluate the origins and functions of the many and varied ingredients used in personal care products
- apply this knowledge when promoting products in the market place.
Evaluate the safety of a product formulation (personal care)
Covers the responsibility of organisations pertaining to, and regulations governing the safety of, personal care products. Learn how to:
- identify irritant and allergen reactions of consumers
- identify and reduce the irritancy and allergen profile of a personal care product
- effectively evaluate potential safety issues pertaining to various personal care products.
Design evaluations of personal care product performance
Teaches how to design and implement appropriate testing to evaluate personal care product performance. Learn how to:
- interpret results of tests
- use this information throughout product development and subsequent marketing strategies
- effectively design product evaluations and report on their findings
- use evaluation reports to enhance product performance and/or utilize results in marketing campaigns.
Apply compliance requirements in the promotion of personal care products (cosmetics)
Covers the application of the range of compliance requirements and obligations that must be fulfilled by an organisation promoting cosmetic personal care products. Learn how to:
- ensure compliance is an integral part of normal business operations
- develop and edit marketing campaigns to suit organisation and legislative requirements
- ensure an effective, compliant message is being communicated.
Apply compliance requirements to ingredient selection (personal care)
Teaches how to identify compliance requirements for appropriate ingredient selection; incorporating searches involved to determine compliance requirements. Learn how to:
- search compliance requirements of AU, EU, US and JP
- select ingredients in accordance with compliance requirements
- report ingredient use as and when required.
Module 2: Regulatory essentialsContribute to effective workplace relationships
Teaches communication skills essential to maintaining effective workplace relationships with staff in other departments whilst explaining and ensuring regulatory compliance. Learn how to:
- contribute effectively to organisational compliance whilst understanding the needs of other departments and the commercial environment
- discuss marketing sensitive issues and help maintain a competitive market advantage whilst ensuring compliance
- build networks with colleagues in other departments and organisations.
Apply knowledge of nutritional biochemistry to regulatory compliance
Teaches nutritional biochemistry relevant to understanding how actives and excipients work in various topical and ingestible products. Learn how:
- key bodily functions and systems work, and how ingestible substances impact on these systems
- vitamins, minerals, herbal and therapeutic agents impact on physiological functioning
- to investigate materials for their impact on bodily systems and how to apply this understanding to determine suitability of substances in a product and input levels.
Design and evaluate regulatory documentation
Covers skills and knowledge to be able to search for relevant information on regulatory documentation and create documents to comply with various regulatory authority requirements. Learn how to:
- investigate the informational requirements of various regulatory and quality documents
- evaluate documents received to ensure compliance with regulatory and informational requirements
- design documents based on regulatory and informational requirements to include all necessary information.
Apply microbiology techniques for product safety
Covers the identification of microbiological concerns specific to personal care products; and the application of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) principles to ensure product safety. Learn how to:
- test raw materials, products, equipment and the facility for microbial presence
- identify methods to reduce microbiological burden within the facility and finished products using GMP.
Design and evaluate stability programs
Covers the methods used to test the stability of products for determination of appropriate shelf life. Learn how to:
- design stability programs to suit a variety of topical and ingested products
- oversee stability testing to ensure performance characteristics of products are maintained over their shelf life
- evaluate results obtained from stability programs and determine appropriate shelf life
Design and manage a product recall
Provides the regulatory essentials of implementing and monitoring a product recall. Learn how to:
- prepare a product recall protocol
- prepare marketing statements and required notifications and disseminate this to required stockists and media
- oversee and report on the effectiveness of the recall process.